Monday 21 July 2014

I've Just Finished Reading Pines by Blake Crouch


After desperately trying to hunt it down, I finally found and finished Pines by Blake Crouch.

The first book of the Wayward Pines series came to my attention when I saw FOX had picked it up for a TV adaptation starring Matt Dillon. And it did not disappoint.

The story centres around Secret Service Agent Ethan Burke, who is sent out on a mission to the town of Wayward Pines to find two agents who had previously gone but mysteriously disappeared. Uncomfortable and peculiar circumstances make Agent Burke draw the conclusion that Wayward Pines is no ordinary town, and that he must get out of there ASAP.

The book is well-written and depicts scenarios and settings beautifully without Crouch appearing pompous in his knowledge of the vernacular. An easy read but an intense one at that that has you rooting for the protagonist as if you were him yourself, suffocating and fighting to get out.

While the story didn't go in the direction I thought it would, I was pleased how everything was explained and it piqued my interest as to where the series will go next. I've already started book two.

I highly recommend it if it sounds like it's up your street.

No comments:

Post a Comment