Thursday 21 February 2013

And The BRIT Award Goes To...



The BRIT Awards have come around and gone again quicker then Kim Kardashian's 2nd marriage and they were.. alright. There were no real shock moments or anything media worthy but then again that's what they're like each year - Safe.

The Winners

British Breakthrough Act - Ben Howard
For Breakthrough Act I wasn't surprised Howard won. I had said it was between himself and Rita Ora for the award, but for some reason Ms. Ora seems to give the impression she's been around longer than she actually has. I don't know whether or not this is due to her style of music, the Pop/R n' B sound that is so commonplace right now that just doesn't scream 'Breakthrough'. 

British Female Solo Artist - Emeli Sandé

Let's all be honest, did anyone else have a chance in this category? Sandé has been on a non stop promotional/critically acclaimed rollercoaster the past year and for that reason there was no doubt in my mind she was going to walk home without the award

British Group - Mumford & Sons

As much as I LOVE One Direction, I'm a Directioner through and through, I'm delighted Mumford & Sons won. Their writing technique, musicality and performance makes them a stand out group from the rest right now. Sure, One Direction have world domination under their belt, however that's due to the millions of tweens supporting their every move, how long can it last? For their sakes, I hope forever, they're great but I was happy to see a worthy winner beat them this time.

Live Act - Coldplay

This, in my opinion, was a very tight race. I've never seen Coldplay live before so I'm going out on a whim here but everyone I know who has seen them can't fault them in anyway, shape or form. The closest thing to seeing them was on The X Factor 2012 final where they pulled out a stellar performance. I don't think anyone can knock them for winning.

British Male Solo Artist - Ben Howard

I was quite surprised Howard won. Personally I would've liked Olly Murs to have received the award. I always find him very underrated and forgotten about. I know he didn't win The X Factor his year but he's certainly achieved more than Joe McElderry and past winners alike. I was also surprised Ed Sheeran wasn't nominated for the award, having him present it kinda seemed like an awkward 'This will do you Edward'.

British Producer - Paul Epworth

Not much to say other than with Adele's success he was always going to win.

British Single - Adele, Skyfall

Once again, what is there to say? If being penned and performed by Adele wasn't enough it's also the official single from the UK's Highest - Grossing Film of 2012/Bond Film ever. Yeah. Sorry competition. Being nominated is nice though isn't it?

BRITs Global Success - One Direction

REALLY? ONE DIRECTION WON?! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING AT ALL! Just kiddin' of course I did. With making themselves roughly £100 million in two years does it shock anyone? Albums, Dolls, Promotional tours, Music Tours, Merchandise these boys work hard for their money and they deserve every penny of it. Truly amazing of what they've accomplished in such a short period of time. What's next, One Direction Sex Toys? JLS had condoms so it really wouldn't surprise me. Move over the 'Rampant Rabbit' and hello 'Rampant Harry'.

Critics' Choice - Tom Odell

I don't really know anything about Tom Odell so I'm not gonna waffle. Winning the award he has a lot to live up to, following in the footsteps of the likes of Jessie J. Will be interesting to see what his debut album has in store which drops on April 15th.

International Female Solo Artist - Lana Del Rey

Once again I think it was a tough competition but I am surprised Rihanna or Taylor didn't bag the title. However, Lana did blow up in 2012 even despite her lackluster appearances on TV, such as SNL.

International Group - The Black Keys

Thought, or hoped, The Killers had this down. If not for them maybe FUN. As much as I should be supporting the Irish, I really don't think The Script had a chance. None the less good on The Black Keys.

International Male Solo Artist - Frank Ocean
Maybe I'm missing something, however I really don't see the hype surrounding Frank Ocean. That's not to say I don't like him, I just don't see what everyone else does. Perhaps I'm not listening to the right songs I don't know. In my opinion the nominees for this award were a random bunch altogether anyway.

Best Album - Emeli Sandé, Our Version Of Events

As I already said about Emeli winning Female Solo Artist, no one else really had a chance. If i had to have call a runner-up it would definitely be Babel. Both albums were truly brilliant.

Overall I feel as though the majority of the award winners were Alternative/Indie performers. Pop and R n' B performers didn't have much of a presence at all unlike past years. I think nowadays people have a wider appreciation for music so I believe we'll see more diverse musicians coming out of the woodwork in future, move over Gaga.

Congratulations to all winners and I look forward to what they have in store for the rest of 2013.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment